The Our Living Spaceship video series is a collaboration between the Global Institute for Sustainability Technologies and Geometry of Nature. Each video highlights a sustainable technology while using an interdisciplinary approach to meeting middle school standards.
In recognition of the many challenges facing our region, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College has created the Global Institute for Sustainability Technologies to facilitate sustainability initiatives on campus and in the community. The aim of our new institute is to support the growth of a vibrant regional economy, to leave a healthier natural environment, and to improve the well-being of all citizens.
Five Goals for the Global Institute for Sustainability Technologies at A-B Tech
- Develop and establish educational and training programs to enhance worker opportunities in emerging areas of sustainability
- Serve as a regional partner benefitting WNC through sustainability projects, including small business development, building and retrofitting applications, land use practices, renewable energy usage and local food support
- Provide demonstration and education areas for community members regarding the benefits of sustainable technologies and practices
- Promote and support K–12 sustainability education initiatives in the region
- Support A-B Tech’s leadership, staff and students to help create a more sustainable campus
Geometry of Nature LLC is an educational company, located in Marshall, NC, that designs a range of experiential programs and products for students of all ages. Inspired by Buckminster Fuller, pioneer of the Geodesic Dome and one of the grandfathers of Sustainable Design, we have been designing Global Literacy programs and classroom tools for middle school, high school, and college students since 2006. For the last two years, Geometry of Nature has worked closely with the education committee of the Buckminster Fuller Institute to develop Aboard Spaceship Earth, an educational initiative that explores the systems of our living spaceship.